The WHO Europe office have released a policy brief as a guiding document for countries to identify specific sources of salt in the diet, assessing the contribution to overall salt intake by a Salt Reduction Model.
This process will allow countries to come up with targeted salt reduction interventions. The 5 steps to creating a salt reduction model include:
- Collect data on daily food intake and salt use
- Collect sodium content data
- Calculate food intake and amount of salt from food
- Identify sodium content targets for manufactured food
- Calculate reductions needed to lower population salt intake.
The brief was developed off two case studies from using salt reduction models in Kazakhstan and Turkey.
Read more here.
For more WHO salt reduction resources, click here.